Thursday, September 3, 2009

Gladys Li

 

After college, I spent many an afternoon and evening at the Li house hanging out with Eugene. The thing that struck me about Gladys, I called her Mrs. Li, was that she wasn’t like my Mom or other friend’s Moms that I knew. Gladys wasn’t formal or distant, rather I always found her easy going and engaged. She seemed more comfortable as a peer than as an authority figure. She’d as readily have a beer with the two of us as she would shout at Eugene to clean up his room. The one image I have stuck in my mind is of Gladys vaulting a low fence while accompanying Eugene and I to one of our Lacrosse League games. It was both funny and cool, and maybe, as I read through the other remembrances, emblematic of a woman who didn’t see barriers that other people saw or projected.

 

Peace.

Dave

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment