Friday, September 11, 2009

I'll Remember...

I'll remember Gladys.
I'll remember that when I first met her, I lit up a cigarette while drinking whiskey in her dining room (without asking), but she never objected and was a gracious hostess.
I'll remember the smell of chicken livers and ginger.
I'll remember stories of attempts to get to Livingston, NJ  that ended in Chinatown.
I'll remember tales of travels near and far, exotic cultural experiences, and family histories to be proud of.
I'll remember her love for her sons.
I'll remember that she was the real-estate agent that got us our home.
I'll remember that she created my only existing wedding album.
I'll remember the warmth of her Toto hot potty.
I'll remember how she liked to take pictures... usually of Eugene mid-sentence or of the grandkids wailing. 
I'll remember her as "Gran," an unconventional and doting grandmother.
I'll remember what she tolerated when Stephanie applied her makeup and Teresa painted her toes (not toe-nails).
I'll remember our mutual love for salami and rare red meat.
I'll remember that we both try to talk to Eugene and follow him around the house when he tries to get away.
I'll remember that I learned about Asiatic Lilies from her and that they were one of Grandpa Li's favorite flowers.   They grow in our garden thanks to her.
I'll remember that she loved pop-up books.
I'll remember that she rescued Fluffy and he never stopped thanking her.
I'll remember that she duped me into a trip to Sears for a dryer, but instead, bought an electric lawn mower she knew Eugene would disapprove of.
I'll remember that, during the past year, she made me laugh and wish that I wrote down everything because the material is priceless!
I'll remember to add to the Christmas book of memories she was careful to bring each year, asking us to write down what we enjoyed most.
I'll remember the thoughtful gifts she gave me, when everyone else received "gag" gifts.
I'll remember the day I saw the red Jaguar in the driveway!
I'll remember the generosity of her friends, family and colleagues.
I'll remember a strong, courageous woman who battled a series of illnesses and setbacks, any one of which would have crippled others, but always she amazingly recovered.
I'll remember her last weeks, when she demonstrated extreme strength and energy that defied her condition.
I'll remember Gran.

-Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment