Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The sun going around

Mom never stopped questioning. It made her a great teacher and scholar.  There were times, however, where it just seemed really comical.  This was one of those times.

I suppose I could just lay flowers on the spot where we scattered her ashes. It wouldn't be a fitting tribute. She isn't there. She wanted to be free, out in the universe.  I'm fairly certain she'd like that her memorial is on the internet. Then she'd say something about how there are lost languages now, like "Linear A," and one day the internet will be the same.  At times, I think we are already there and no one understands anything.
But your point was never to confuse me. It was to encourage me to actually have a critical thought; to find it fun and delightful; to draw strength and wisdom from insight; and to have the bravery to face ridicule armed in the confidence that what you have doesn't need to be easy to accept, and it can even be proven wrong; as long as the critical process was honest. Don't worry, Mom, the point was not lost on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment