Sunday, August 30, 2009

I only met Gladys in person twice in my life, but I started writing to her on my father's behalf and translated her letters to him again and again when they arrived because he was afraid that I might have miss out on something. Therefore, I started to meet her 'on paper' through exchanges of letters as an official 'translator' and 'scribe' ever since her marriage. However, most of our communications were on the family level and seldom personal. I must say that I am more familiar with her handwriting than she as a person.

I think she felt that way too, so she proposed a different way of communication by proposing to make recordings in cassette tapes instead of writing letters. Our communication moved into another era. With better technology, we started communicating through recordings and were able to say more and communicate better directly. At least, that was much more personal. However, better technology did not change the nature of my position as the family 'translator' and 'scribe'. Whether the communication was by the written or oral medium, I was still the bridge making the two worlds understood.

Finally, Gladys proposed that I should relinquish my persona and communicate with her as myself. I dutifully did that telling her a full 20 minutes self-introduction on recording. Very soon, I got a letter from my brother as well as from her asking me what problems I had with 'sex' and that I could share with her on the topic if I met any difficulties there. ??????????

There were such a lot of question marks in my mind. Filled with fear and bewilderment, I was totally flabbergasted as to why I had given them this 'strange' impression, and I wondered what I had said wrong to have given them such an impression. The fact is that for a Chinese girl of 14 or 15 to discuss 'sex' openly some 40 odd years ago was unheard of. And, the most disturbing thing was why should I had problems with it ??? I wondered. Not knowing what to say in reply, I refrained from the topic and never mentioned this ever again. Although the topic was dropped, it was lurking at the back of my mind wondering why I gave her such an impression. Of course, I dared not translate this part of the letter and recording to my father. I would have asked for death if I did and such dirty linens such never be aired in the public. I kept my embarrassment for over 20 years wondering what I had done wrong.

The answer did not come until some 20 years later when I emigrated to Vancouver. Then, I realised that outside HK, people pronounce the subject 'mathematics' as 'Ma-TH' and not 'MaTS' as in HK. I guess Gladys probably heard me wrong thinking that I had problems with sex on the recording for I might have pronounced it so badly that she thought I meant 'SEX' when I said 'MATS' ( for math). I remember well that I did talk about my main concern was my difficulty in doing well in MATS and I confessed that it was my chief frustration which gave me a strong sense of failure.

Well, I do not know whether this can be considered as another case of 'Lost in Translation' or not. When I read Clarence and Andy's contribution to the memory of Gladys, I just thought I should contribute a little to her memory, too. Suddenly this story popped up again and I hope to share this little amusing episode with the rest of her family. Gladys was a concerning lady who spoke openly and bravely well ahead of 'our' time. Her beliefs, sentiments and good intentions were one step ahead of us and I feel so sorry that we did not appreciate them until so many years later. I am glad that I have known her for almost half a century and we had engaged in some serious communication at different periods of this long span of time.

May her soul lie in peace in the loving memory of her children and family.

Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment